Steve Stanfill
So it is about time to start talking about the Reunion for 2018.  I'm sure you all have thought about it.  What are your thoughts?  Any ideas?  Plans? 
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Rick is not setting one up but has passed it on to whom ever wanted to set it up. A few of us thought we might just show up together for informal reunion but that was just talk.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
I'm all up for an informal one.  I think I might have brought it up before.  I can do a little bit of legwork to set things up if needed.
Quote 1 0
Keith Brownmiller
Anyway we can, just need lead time, will have further to travel after this month.
The Gunny
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
Keith Brownmiller wrote:
Anyway we can, just need lead time, will have further to travel after this month.

Are you and Jo moving?
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
So in January, I will contact Sam's Town and see about getting a special rate for the rooms and whatever other perks I can get if there is interest in an informal reunion (no banquet/night events).  I can also check on the gun range to see what I can set up there or possibly working with the long distance range I shoot at up there and see if we can get a group access during the week on their steel target long distance range.  If I can set it up, I will provide 4 or 5 of my long range rifles for you guys to shoot.  Just please chip in for the ammo, this stuff costs between .75 and 1.25 a round.  And we will probably need about 500 rounds in each caliber, depending on how many show up. 

Any thoughts?
Quote 1 0
Rick Holly
Steve Stanfill wrote:
So in January, I will contact Sam's Town and see about getting a special rate for the rooms and whatever other perks I can get if there is interest in an informal reunion (no banquet/night events).  I can also check on the gun range to see what I can set up there or possibly working with the long distance range I shoot at up there and see if we can get a group access during the week on their steel target long distance range.  If I can set it up, I will provide 4 or 5 of my long range rifles for you guys to shoot.  Just please chip in for the ammo, this stuff costs between .75 and 1.25 a round.  And we will probably need about 500 rounds in each caliber, depending on how many show up. 

Any thoughts?

A real dumb question, I’m left-handed. My dominant eye is my left eye. I don’t shoot rifles, but I know I would place the rifle on my left shoulder. Is that a problem? Would the ejected shells hit me in the face?
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Look for left handed rifle or take it to the face.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Rick Holly wrote:
A real dumb question, I’m left-handed. My dominant eye is my left eye. I don’t shoot rifles, but I know I would place the rifle on my left shoulder. Is that a problem? Would the ejected shells hit me in the face?


I will do an experiment for you.  I will shoot my AR10 and the M1s lefty style and see how it goes.  My Precision Rifle is a bolt action, so that will work either way.  My Vegas shooting buddy has a left hand rifle, so I can check with him to see if it can be borrowed.  Most likely he will want to come too and he is a retired Senior Chief.
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Looks like the dates will be Aug 6-10 2018 Sams town for informal reunion, tiki hut is the meeting place nothing is planned so meet when you want make plans with each other. Hope to see some of you there.
Quote 1 0
Rick Holly
Charles R. Petrach wrote:
Looks like the dates will be Aug 6-10 2018 Sams town for informal reunion, tiki hut is the meeting place nothing is planned so meet when you want make plans with each other. Hope to see some of you there.

We hope to be there!
Quote 1 0
Steve Stanfill
Waiting to get one last piece of info and I will post  [smile]  She is getting some info on a dinner we can have in lieu of a buffet like we normally have.  

Quote 1 0
Steve Stanfill
Ok, here is what I got.  If there is an interest, I will ask for a quote for a Welcome and a Good Bye No-Host bar with munchies.  

TGIFridays has a banquet room and they will either give us a set menu, or let us order off the menu at a special price.  If there is interest, I will ask about that.  Not sure if we want to stay the entire week, we can shorten it if needed.  Nothing is confirmed.  

I can see about shooting at the same place or if I'm able to get a membership at my favorite outdoor range, we can shoot there.  

I can see about bowling, if there is an interest.

Hello Steve,

 It was a pleasure speaking with you today and I thank you for your interest in Sam's Town!  At the present time, we do have ten (10) hotel rooms available for the dates requested. 

 HOTEL ROOM BLOCK

Date(s)                

Arrival                        Monday           August 6, 2018

Departure                    Friday             August 10, 2018                         

 Room Rate(s) -- Standard Room

 

Sunday- Thursday      $   39.00 + $ 9.99 Resort Fee + 13% tax per room/per night

Friday-Saturday          $ 125.00 + $ 9.99 Resort Fee + 13% tax per room/per night

 Rate is for single to quad occupancy.

 We will setup a group room block with a cutoff date of 30 days prior to arrival.  Prior to the cut-off date, individuals must reserve their room on line. To Receive your special group rate members will need to enter the assigned Reservation ID through the Hotel’s Website at http://www.samstownlv.com/groupsIt is that simple! 

 

We will setup a group room block with a cutoff date of 30 days prior to arrival.  The guests would call our special toll free Group Reservations phone number and ask to reserve a room under the group name you provide.  The guests would pay their own night first deposit at the time of making the reservation.  Once the cutoff date arrives, any unused rooms would revert back to hotel inventory.  It is that simple! 

 We will provide a One-Bedroom Suite at the group rate with a minimum of ten (10) rooms.

 If you are interested in reserving a special room for your reunion to meet and enjoy a dinner, consider TGI Friday’s as an option.  They have a wonderful rooms that would accommodate your group.  I would be more than happy to assist in making a reservation.

Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Thanks Steve
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Charles R. Petrach wrote:
Thanks Steve


No problem!  So I know Bev at the hotel is going to call me about the quote she gave and the other things we talked about (TGIF Room, etc).  

So when do we seriously want to start the process?  Rick?  Need your guidance here.  Suggestions?  
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
We use to start taking reservations in January of the year we are going. Maybe post on tarawa reunion on Facebook.to let people know what’s going on. Rick use to make the time line.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Ok, I will make a post about it.  I need to get some sort of feedback so I know what services we need from Sam's.  
Quote 1 0
Rick Holly
Charles R. Petrach wrote:
We use to start taking reservations in January of the year we are going. Maybe post on tarawa reunion on Facebook.to let people know what’s going on. Rick use to make the time line.

I always put the “sign up form” up on January 1. Charlie would always be the first one to sign up.
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
Steve Stanfill wrote:
Ok, I will make a post about it.  I need to get some sort of feedback so I know what services we need from Sam's.  

When you put the information on Tarawa Reunion on FB, I will put it on tarawareunion.com, too.
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Steve do you have a code from Sam’s Town for rooms yet ready to make reservations and to let others know we will be there.
Quote 0 0
Larry Osborn
Hi all, came here today to see if there are plans in the works for a 2018 reunion.  Noticed that my forum account was deleted (?) so I started this new one.  My wife and I would like to attend in August.  Will be looking forward to it.  I'll monitor this thread for instructions.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
I'm confirming the final cost.  Is there any interest in booking at TGI Friday's private room for a dinner?
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Sounds good to me
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
The hotel is blocking the rooms now and will have the Registration ID to me by the end of next week.
Quote 1 0
Charles R. Petrach
Sounds good
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Ok, does everyone agree to the prices above?  FYI, the Resort Fee increased to $11.29.   I have 48 hours to say YES.  Do we want to book an evening in the dining room of TGIF?  

We also have 1 Hospitality Suite, at the same room cost.  How did that work out the previous Reunions?

Steve
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
I do not believe we had a hospitality suite. I am ok with the room costs. what is the cost for the TGIF or do we just order off menu with a room for our group?
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
Steve, I got this email today. I tried to forward it to you. I hope it worked, but just in case you did not get it.

Hello Rick Holly

If there is going to be a LHA-1 Reunion in 2018 I would be glad
to POST it on HullNumber.com and email the LHA-1 Crew members on
HullNumber that have opted in to accepting email from me.

If you are this years Reunion Coordinator, click on the link below
and fill out the form that opens....

If you are not the Coordinator, please FORWARD this email to this years
Reunion Coordinator to fill out.

To start the REUNION POSTING PROCESS, click on:

http://www.hullnumber.com/Add_USN_Reunion.php?hn=LHA-1

Fill out the form and within a couple of days I will get the
LHA-1 REUNION POSTED and YOUR SHIPMATES NOTIFIED.

Best to ALL HANDS on your end,

Dave Schultz / Hullnumber.com

HullNumber.com sends an annual email to Past Reunion Contacts in
an effort to POST ALL NAVY REUNIONS and PASS THE WORD TO THE CREW.

To UNSUBSCRIBE Click on:

http://www.hullnumber.com/unsubscribe_el.php?em=rickholly@rickholly.com
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Charles R. Petrach wrote:
I do not believe we had a hospitality suite. I am ok with the room costs. what is the cost for the TGIF or do we just order off menu with a room for our group?


I believe there was.  Rick, can you chime in here?  If there isn't a need, I will have Sam's cancel that room out.  But I thought there was and folks gathered there and I believe smoked some stogies....

Regarding the cost of the room at TGIF, I don't think it has a cost.  Bev did say we can order off the normal TGIF Menu or they would serve up a dinner that is not on the menu.  We would have to negotiate for that. 

Need to know if anyone wants to go bowling or shooting.  For the shooting, I was unable to get a membership at my favorite range.  I have a member that is willing to try to get a special pass for all of us to use the Long Range Silhouette Range.  If denied, we can use the Public Range that has bays that are out to 100 yards.  I will bring my long range rifles up if there is enough interest in it.  I will also hold at my Henderson house any weapons folks want to bring up. 
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Rick,

Roger on the hullnumber.com post.  I also got it in an email.  I will contact them shortly.  I have agreed to the terms of the contract for the reunion and will be posting info soon.  I will work on a "post" this weekend.
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
TGIF sounds good, as for bowling if enough interest we can probably set something up when we get there. Also the shooting thing is the range we used before still available? Or is there a big enough interest in long range shooting.
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
Yes, we did have a hospitality room. Mary Lou and I would give it to the guest of honor or we would have a drawing for the room from a list of shipmates who would register for the reunion between January 1 and March 31. We never used it as a place for shipmates to meet and talk. Everyone always liked meeting at the tiki hut by the registration desk.
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
During the 2010 or 2012 reunion, a group of maybe 10 or 12 met at TGIF for a meal. I cannot remember if the room/space would hold 20 or more.
Quote 0 0
Rick Holly
I am pretty sure there was not a charge for the TGIF room.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Rick Holly wrote:
During the 2010 or 2012 reunion, a group of maybe 10 or 12 met at TGIF for a meal. I cannot remember if the room/space would hold 20 or more.


Ok, let's see how many folks sign up and we can go from there.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Rick Holly wrote:
Yes, we did have a hospitality room. Mary Lou and I would give it to the guest of honor or we would have a drawing for the room from a list of shipmates who would register for the reunion between January 1 and March 31. We never used it as a place for shipmates to meet and talk. Everyone always liked meeting at the tiki hut by the registration desk.


Ok, we will hold it in case there are 11 folks/couples that sign up, since we don't really have a guest of honor this time around.
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Do we have a code for the hotelhave several already to sign up
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
Reunion information can be found at 2018 Reunion Room and Event Information.  😉  
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Great time Click image for larger version - Name: A029D2CD-35D2-4554-8DFE-830E566F8B93.jpeg, Views: 28, Size: 894.02 KB Click image for larger version - Name: E4A30FB3-1D18-47F5-A124-94E342672115.jpeg, Views: 28, Size: 821.17 KB Click image for larger version - Name: AB87969F-6364-447C-A740-D950870E5CD8.jpeg, Views: 27, Size: 604.83 KB
Quote 0 0
Charles R. Petrach
Just wish more of the OI division could have made it.
Quote 0 0
Steve Stanfill
I had a great time too, and it was wonderful seeing you folks again and meeting the first-timers.
Quote 0 0
Back to USS TARAWA LHA-1 Forum