Tarawa Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
uva7@yahoo.com

Avatar / Picture

TARAWA
Registered:
Posts: 1,002
Reply with quote  #1 
any one else have a close call on the big "t"..

I believe it was in 1989 we had just puled into hong kong  and had launched the ready life boat. , we made our way over to the buoy and were preparing to attach the chain to the anchor buoy..  simple task or so i was told.  one guy would lift the ring on the buoy, and position it in the clevis.....  someone else would slide the pin into the clevis and boom were anchored.....      so i get the job of sliding the pin into the clevis....   being the first time i had done this , i was not prepared for the weight of the pin, as i picked it up and tried to slide it forward towards and into the clevis, it clipped into the chest strap snap clip on my kpok life jacket...  as you can emagine the forward inertia on a rocking boat took me off ballance and i fell partially over the side of the ready life boat. the only think that saved my butt was my shipmate or shipmates who grabbed my leggs...   think the coxswain that was onboard was hall, and i think flores (sp) was the first to grab me....  if not i would have traveled to the bottom of the harbor with the pin clipped to my chest....   thanks to my shipmates for saving my life that day...
0
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #2 
Damn, that was a scary story!
0
brucer41

E-2
Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #3 
I had a few close ones on the Terrible Tuna, but I think the closest was when we were pulling into Fremantle, Australia. The well dock ops got nuts and I got whacked in the head with a line that came off one of the LCM6 boats. It was lights out for a bit. Exploded the megaphone in my hand giving me some stitches and numb fingers to this day, and took me out. Could have been way worse if it had been lower. Thank god for the Deck monkees as they had me in sick PDQ and all was good.
0
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer41
I had a few close ones on the Terrible Tuna, but I think the closest was when we were pulling into Fremantle, Australia. The well dock ops got nuts and I got whacked in the head with a line that came off one of the LCM6 boats. It was lights out for a bit. Exploded the megaphone in my hand giving me some stitches and numb fingers to this day, and took me out. Could have been way worse if it had been lower. Thank god for the Deck monkees as they had me in sick PDQ and all was good.

Thank Heaven there were no scary moments in CIC when I was aboard. The closest scary moment may have been when I spilled hot coffee on my lap. I just went to berthing and changed my pants, ha.
0
ABH-2DavidMcnair

O-11
Registered:
Posts: 539
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uva7@yahoo.com
any one else have a close call on the big "t"..

I believe it was in 1989 we had just puled into hong kong  and had launched the ready life boat. , we made our way over to the buoy and were preparing to attach the chain to the anchor buoy..  simple task or so i was told.  one guy would lift the ring on the buoy, and position it in the clevis.....  someone else would slide the pin into the clevis and boom were anchored.....      so i get the job of sliding the pin into the clevis....   being the first time i had done this , i was not prepared for the weight of the pin, as i picked it up and tried to slide it forward towards and into the clevis, it clipped into the chest strap snap clip on my kpok life jacket...  as you can emagine the forward inertia on a rocking boat took me off ballance and i fell partially over the side of the ready life boat. the only think that saved my butt was my shipmate or shipmates who grabbed my leggs...   think the coxswain that was onboard was hall, and i think flores (sp) was the first to grab me....  if not i would have traveled to the bottom of the harbor with the pin clipped to my chest....   thanks to my shipmates for saving my life that day...
. Shipmates always have your back, great story, glad you are still here
0
ABH-2DavidMcnair

O-11
Registered:
Posts: 539
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer41
I had a few close ones on the Terrible Tuna, but I think the closest was when we were pulling into Fremantle, Australia. The well dock ops got nuts and I got whacked in the head with a line that came off one of the LCM6 boats. It was lights out for a bit. Exploded the megaphone in my hand giving me some stitches and numb fingers to this day, and took me out. Could have been way worse if it had been lower. Thank god for the Deck monkees as they had me in sick PDQ and all was good.
. I thought I was the only one accident prone
0
brucer41

E-2
Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #7 
Nah, you know the deal, stop watching and up jumps the bad stuff, out of nowhere and in an instant you are done.
0
Bigdaddy dale

TARAWA
Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #8 
I don't remember the year, but we were doing a UNREP using helos, as well as the highline. Well I was in RAS 3 waiting to go back in when the slings cleared the rail and were heading back to the replenishment ship, when the metal cable about 3 inches from the eye broke sending the cable back towards the replenishment ship. I 'll never forget the 1 guy waiting for the slings diving onto the non skip a split second before that cable went whipping across the deck. If he hadn't moved he would have been cut in half.
0
Bigdaddy dale

TARAWA
Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by uva7@yahoo.com
any one else have a close call on the big "t"..

I believe it was in 1989 we had just puled into hong kong  and had launched the ready life boat. , we made our way over to the buoy and were preparing to attach the chain to the anchor buoy..  simple task or so i was told.  one guy would lift the ring on the buoy, and position it in the clevis.....  someone else would slide the pin into the clevis and boom were anchored.....      so i get the job of sliding the pin into the clevis....   being the first time i had done this , i was not prepared for the weight of the pin, as i picked it up and tried to slide it forward towards and into the clevis, it clipped into the chest strap snap clip on my kpok life jacket...  as you can emagine the forward inertia on a rocking boat took me off ballance and i fell partially over the side of the ready life boat. the only think that saved my butt was my shipmate or shipmates who grabbed my leggs...   think the coxswain that was onboard was hall, and i think flores (sp) was the first to grab me....  if not i would have traveled to the bottom of the harbor with the pin clipped to my chest....   thanks to my shipmates for saving my life that day...

Pretty much the same thing happened in Mombasa Kenya, except a couple of guys got on the mooring buoy, and it started to spin something fierce. Well it was quite a scene  watching a couple of guys running in place and the buoy just spinning faster and faster. Finally they both wound up in the drink , and all you could hear was the BM1 on the boat that took them out them yelling at them to get their fat asses back on the buoy and secure the anchor chain.
0
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by uva7@yahoo.com
any one else have a close call on the big "t"..

I believe it was in 1989 we had just puled into hong kong  and had launched the ready life boat. , we made our way over to the buoy and were preparing to attach the chain to the anchor buoy..  simple task or so i was told.  one guy would lift the ring on the buoy, and position it in the clevis.....  someone else would slide the pin into the clevis and boom were anchored.....      so i get the job of sliding the pin into the clevis....   being the first time i had done this , i was not prepared for the weight of the pin, as i picked it up and tried to slide it forward towards and into the clevis, it clipped into the chest strap snap clip on my kpok life jacket...  as you can emagine the forward inertia on a rocking boat took me off ballance and i fell partially over the side of the ready life boat. the only think that saved my butt was my shipmate or shipmates who grabbed my leggs...   think the coxswain that was onboard was hall, and i think flores (sp) was the first to grab me....  if not i would have traveled to the bottom of the harbor with the pin clipped to my chest....   thanks to my shipmates for saving my life that day...

Pretty much the same thing happened in Mombasa Kenya, except a couple of guys got on the mooring buoy, and it started to spin something fierce. Well it was quite a scene  watching a couple of guys running in place and the buoy just spinning faster and faster. Finally they both wound up in the drink , and all you could hear was the BM1 on the boat that took them out them yelling at them to get their fat asses back on the buoy and secure the anchor chain.

WOW, we never had anyone yelling at others in CIC.
0
John Green

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 757
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy dale
I don't remember the year, but we were doing a UNREP using helos, as well as the highline. Well I was in RAS 3 waiting to go back in when the slings cleared the rail and were heading back to the replenishment ship, when the metal cable about 3 inches from the eye broke sending the cable back towards the replenishment ship. I 'll never forget the 1 guy waiting for the slings diving onto the non skip a split second before that cable went whipping across the deck. If he hadn't moved he would have been cut in half.


WOW! That's scary right there...................
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Back to USS TARAWA LHA-1 Forum