Tarawa Forum
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #1 
We are excited and pleased to introduce to you our 2014 USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion Speaker, Chris Brown. He is a native of upstate NY. Chris has lived in Oregon since 1980. In January 2011, after 31 years in law enforcement, Chris retired as the Superintendent of the Oregon State Police. He also served as an elected Sheriff and Chief of Police. He is currently a consultant for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), serving as a liaison between the FBI National Data Exchange program and local, state and federal agencies. Chris has a BA in organizational management and is finishing his Master's in Intelligence Operations. He is a published author of a military reference book and has instructed a myriad of professional topics for law enforcement, military personnel, colleges and universities including ethics, supervision and inspirational leadership.

chris_brown.jpg 
 
Since his retirement, Chris has been offering lectures on his life-long passion, the history, heraldry and use of American military insignia. Civil War to WWII is a fantastic hallmark presentation for the USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion. This is a journey through time as we learn about the adoption, development and meaning of shoulder sleeve insignia that sailors, soldiers, marines, merchant seamen and airmen have worn since the 1860s. This presentation is tempered with little known facts, historical anecdotes and humor. It is appropriate for verterans and their families. It is colorful, interactive and fun. Chris' presentation is about us, for us, and in honor of us. We will learn how insignia helped achieve allied success on D-Day, why the Marine Corps was part of the 2nd Army Infantry Division in WWI, what American unit wore a swastika patch until WWII, and see examples of the shoulder patches (unit) worn by the U.S. Navy during WWII. 
 
Chris is the published author of the military reference book, U.S. Military Patches of World War II. Chris has graciously donated one of his books to give away at our reunion! Thank you Chris!

Book.jpg 

0
Keith Brownmiller

Avatar / Picture

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #2 
Sounds great to me. As all of us, I expect to learn something new. Will he focus on Navy? Did he serve on the Tarawa before his storied career?


__________________
The Gunny
0
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #3 
He will talk about all military groups from the Civil War to WWII. It should be VERY interesting.
0
John Green

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 757
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Holly
He will talk about all military groups from the Civil War to WWII. It should be VERY interesting.


Civil War to WWII.............Nothing more current? Did he serve on the USS Tarawa (LHA-1)?
0
Rick Holly

Avatar / Picture

Administrator
Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Holly
He will talk about all military groups from the Civil War to WWII. It should be VERY interesting.


Civil War to WWII.............Nothing more current? Did he serve on the USS Tarawa (LHA-1)?

He did not serve on Tarawa. We will have to see where Chris ends up, but I know he will start at the Civil War. It should be fascinating!

I have been looking at the book he sent me. It is hard to put it down. Is is engrossing.
0
dcbrown

Reunion Speaker
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #6 
Greetings to the members of the Tarawa! In reply to some of the questions above, the focus will be on the introduction, use and meaning of the insignia that all branches now wear. I focus on the Civil War to WWII. Many veterans - rightly - ask "But what about Korea, Vietnam, and the current conflicts"? Sailors, marines, soldiers and airmen have heaped honor and sacrifice on these symbols in everyconflict since WWII, and in peace-time. You have certainly not been forgotten, nor have your experiences and accomplishments been minimized. But, the story here is how these symbols came to be worn and the symbolism behind them. That metamorphosis really occurred from the 1860s-1940s.

If you count the unofficial types and official types worn today, there are thousands and thousands of insignia in use. Just too many to do any justice to. But all of these have their roots in the designs adopted in the period we'll cover. And yes, the Marines are well represented! Additionally, I always intersperse some trivia questions throughout the presentation and yours will be largely changed to USN/USMC topics.

I assure you, you will discover some truly fascinating things about the symbols you wore that you never knew before. And I hope that through this experience, you may feel a connection to sailors, marines and other service members before you, that you never felt before. And the wives/families will be equally entertained.

I am tempted to drop some tidbits here to get your interest up, but I don't want to spoil the story. Ladies and gentlemen, the bottom line is this; my presentations are about you. They are an honor to you, and a tribute to what you've done for all of us. Although (believe it or not) you will find the presentation fascinating and fun, the underlying message is Thank You  for your service.

I did one last week for a group in Oregon. From that, a Naval officers' group has asked me to come visit with them and a 3-tour USMC Vietnam vet has asked me to do something special for his group. Interestingly, the USN officer and the Marine served together on a jointly crewed ship, just like the Tarawa. Both were attendees and both loved it.

I am honored to be a part of your reunion and I am excited to meet you all. If you have any questions or wish to reach out to me for some reason, feel free - dcbrownor@msn.com. I am gone a lot for my current work. But normally no more than a couple/few days. I will respond.  

Very sincerely,
Chris Brown

0
Keith Brownmiller

Avatar / Picture

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 1,342
Reply with quote  #7 
Chris, as the only Marine in this group, thus far, I have family blood and otherwise have been in just about every service, since I served in the Corps. While you knowledge of patches and insignias of the military services far surpasses everything I would know. In watching period movies, I many times notice things that are not the same or uniform. During the films of the Navy in WWII, I noticed that some of them had their rate/rank insignia on either arm. To me that triggered a disparity. I am hoping to hear the rationale as to why it was then but has changed now? Just thinking out loud.

Glad to have you as our guest and look forward to meeting you and listening to your presentation. Semper Fi

__________________
The Gunny
0
John Green

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 757
Reply with quote  #8 
Thank you Chris. Looking forward to meeting you and listening to your presentation. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

PEACE!
0
dcbrown

Reunion Speaker
Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #9 
Nice to meet you Keith! I always scrutinize movies looking for errors and oddities in uniforms etc. But interestingly, until 1948-49, the Navy divided their seman into two groups. The 'traditional' seaman rates wore their oatch on the right sleeve, and all other rates on the left. So, in WWII era movies, you'll see sailors with rates on different sides. Since 1949, all rates are worn on the same side!
0
ABH-2DavidMcnair

O-11
Registered:
Posts: 539
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Holly
We are excited and pleased to introduce to you our 2014 USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion Speaker, Chris Brown. He is a native of upstate NY. Chris has lived in Oregon since 1980. In January 2011, after 31 years in law enforcement, Chris retired as the Superintendent of the Oregon State Police. He also served as an elected Sheriff and Chief of Police. He is currently a consultant for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), serving as a liaison between the FBI National Data Exchange program and local, state and federal agencies. Chris has a BA in organizational management and is finishing his Master's in Intelligence Operations. He is a published author of a military reference book and has instructed a myriad of professional topics for law enforcement, military personnel, colleges and universities including ethics, supervision and inspirational leadership.

chris_brown.jpg 
 
Since his retirement, Chris has been offering lectures on his life-long passion, the history, heraldry and use of American military insignia. Civil War to WWII is a fantastic hallmark presentation for the USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion. This is a journey through time as we learn about the adoption, development and meaning of shoulder sleeve insignia that sailors, soldiers, marines, merchant seamen and airmen have worn since the 1860s. This presentation is tempered with little known facts, historical anecdotes and humor. It is appropriate for verterans and their families. It is colorful, interactive and fun. Chris' presentation is about us, for us, and in honor of us. We will learn how insignia helped achieve allied success on D-Day, why the Marine Corps was part of the 2nd Army Infantry Division in WWI, what American unit wore a swastika patch until WWII, and see examples of the shoulder patches (unit) worn by the U.S. Navy during WWII. 
 
Chris is the published author of the military reference book, U.S. Military Patches of World War II. Chris has graciously donated one of his books to give away at our reunion! Thank you Chris!

Book.jpg 
Sounds like a great speaker. If he doesn't know about the Tarawa, we will educate him, just like he will educate us. But I have to say it, first I have a lot of cop friends, both active and retired, so I ask you all why do they put the Star shield on the front door of the cop car? Give up? Ok, I will tell you, it's so the Officer will know what door to get in prior to his patrol. Ha ha ha. I crack myself up, doesn't take much to amuse the mind of an ABH.
0
John Green

Moderator, Tarawalha
Registered:
Posts: 757
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABH-2DavidMcnair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Holly
We are excited and pleased to introduce to you our 2014 USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion Speaker, Chris Brown. He is a native of upstate NY. Chris has lived in Oregon since 1980. In January 2011, after 31 years in law enforcement, Chris retired as the Superintendent of the Oregon State Police. He also served as an elected Sheriff and Chief of Police. He is currently a consultant for the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), serving as a liaison between the FBI National Data Exchange program and local, state and federal agencies. Chris has a BA in organizational management and is finishing his Master's in Intelligence Operations. He is a published author of a military reference book and has instructed a myriad of professional topics for law enforcement, military personnel, colleges and universities including ethics, supervision and inspirational leadership.

chris_brown.jpg 
 
Since his retirement, Chris has been offering lectures on his life-long passion, the history, heraldry and use of American military insignia. Civil War to WWII is a fantastic hallmark presentation for the USS Tarawa LHA-1 Reunion. This is a journey through time as we learn about the adoption, development and meaning of shoulder sleeve insignia that sailors, soldiers, marines, merchant seamen and airmen have worn since the 1860s. This presentation is tempered with little known facts, historical anecdotes and humor. It is appropriate for verterans and their families. It is colorful, interactive and fun. Chris' presentation is about us, for us, and in honor of us. We will learn how insignia helped achieve allied success on D-Day, why the Marine Corps was part of the 2nd Army Infantry Division in WWI, what American unit wore a swastika patch until WWII, and see examples of the shoulder patches (unit) worn by the U.S. Navy during WWII. 
 
Chris is the published author of the military reference book, U.S. Military Patches of World War II. Chris has graciously donated one of his books to give away at our reunion! Thank you Chris!

Book.jpg 
Sounds like a great speaker. If he doesn't know about the Tarawa, we will educate him, just like he will educate us. But I have to say it, first I have a lot of cop friends, both active and retired, so I ask you all why do they put the Star shield on the front door of the cop car? Give up? Ok, I will tell you, it's so the Officer will know what door to get in prior to his patrol. Ha ha ha. I crack myself up, doesn't take much to amuse the mind of an ABH.


David McNair...........? You crack me up as well. Lmao!
0
ABH-2DavidMcnair

O-11
Registered:
Posts: 539
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcbrown
Greetings to the members of the Tarawa! In reply to some of the questions above, the focus will be on the introduction, use and meaning of the insignia that all branches now wear. I focus on the Civil War to WWII. Many veterans - rightly - ask "But what about Korea, Vietnam, and the current conflicts"? Sailors, marines, soldiers and airmen have heaped honor and sacrifice on these symbols in everyconflict since WWII, and in peace-time. You have certainly not been forgotten, nor have your experiences and accomplishments been minimized. But, the story here is how these symbols came to be worn and the symbolism behind them. That metamorphosis really occurred from the 1860s-1940s.

If you count the unofficial types and official types worn today, there are thousands and thousands of insignia in use. Just too many to do any justice to. But all of these have their roots in the designs adopted in the period we'll cover. And yes, the Marines are well represented! Additionally, I always intersperse some trivia questions throughout the presentation and yours will be largely changed to USN/USMC topics.

I assure you, you will discover some truly fascinating things about the symbols you wore that you never knew before. And I hope that through this experience, you may feel a connection to sailors, marines and other service members before you, that you never felt before. And the wives/families will be equally entertained.

I am tempted to drop some tidbits here to get your interest up, but I don't want to spoil the story. Ladies and gentlemen, the bottom line is this; my presentations are about you. They are an honor to you, and a tribute to what you've done for all of us. Although (believe it or not) you will find the presentation fascinating and fun, the underlying message is Thank You  for your service.

I did one last week for a group in Oregon. From that, a Naval officers' group has asked me to come visit with them and a 3-tour USMC Vietnam vet has asked me to do something special for his group. Interestingly, the USN officer and the Marine served together on a jointly crewed ship, just like the Tarawa. Both were attendees and both loved it.

I am honored to be a part of your reunion and I am excited to meet you all. If you have any questions or wish to reach out to me for some reason, feel free - dcbrownor@msn.com. I am gone a lot for my current work. But normally no more than a couple/few days. I will respond.  

Very sincerely,
Chris Brown

. Mr Brown the anticipation is killing me, but hopefully I will be alive at our re- union to hear about your great information, see you soon David McNair ABH-2
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Back to USS TARAWA LHA-1 Forum